Don't Ever Forget...I'm from New York

Saturday, December 30, 2006

This is why I don't ask for phone numbers......

I tend to avoid gay bars. I don't have anything against them but it's really not my scene. Every so often I find myself at one and remember all the reasons I don't go to them in the first place.

I recently went to a gay bar without even realizing that I was going to a gay bar. I had never heard of the place that we were going. Even when walking into the bar and spying two men who struck me as gay I didn't put the pieces together. Walking into a sea of muscle bound men in tight t-shirts that were not seasonal in the slightest brought everything into perspective however.

When we went outside to smoke we were making all sorts of friends. One was Joe a slightly balding not that cute but very sweet accountant from South Carolina. He was very interested in talking to me, but all I could think about when talking to him was the silver lipstick on half of his upper lip. His friends(Jacqu and Angela) were lovely and told us to come and say hi when we went back inside the bar.

We didn't say hello to them but when I went back outside to smoke I ran into to them again. Jaqu, a cute aspiring South African film director and fan of One Tree Hill, and I start to chat. Soon Joe decided to join the conversation to tell me how cute I am and to apologize for being southern. I don't know where the apology came from or for what reason so I just laughed a little bit. He gave me his card in case I "ever need an accountant". I politely took it. He offers to buy me a drink, I say no thank you. He offers to buy me a drink again, I say no thank you again. He offers to buy me a drink a third time followed by my third and slightly more annoyed no thank you. I could have just taken the drink, but then I would have felt obligated to continue conversing with this man. I don't want to be mean but he was a little too in my face for someone that I wasn't interested in.

Next Joe tells Angela I'm straight and that is why I'm not interested in him. Standing less then a foot away from me he thinks that he is whispering this to his friend Angela. He was actually shouting. I have given this man no reason to believe that I have any interest in him and he still proceeds to put his hands on my butt and kiss me on the cheek and kiss me on the cheek again and try to kiss me on the mouth. If he really thought that I was straight then I'm not sure what was going through his head. If he was calling me straight as a coy way of flirting with me it didn't work. I had to draw the line at physical contact. Not only was I not attracted to him but that little bit of silver lipstick was the only thing that I could focus on.

I did attempt to continue to talk to Jacqu while Joe was molesting me but the conversation didn't really start to go anywhere until Joe got the hint that he wasn't getting anywhere with me.

Cue a very rude European man. I say European because when he first came over to us he said that he was from France. Later in the evening he had no idea what we were talking about when we mentioned him being from France because apparently he was from Belgium. He obviously wanted to interrupt our conversation but rather then say excuse me he talked very loudly at us rather then to us. Realizing that neither one of us was going to acknowledge him he turned to Angela and says "Who would you rather have: that(yes, I'm the that he was referring to) or me(the Belgian/French guy)." Is he for real?

Throughout all of this Jacqu and continued to chat. Or at least we tried to. I decided to be bold and ask for his phone number. He gives it to me. Cue the Belgian/French guy to harass Jacqu some more. Jaqcu chose that moment to starts talking about his BOYFRIEND!

Mortified I slink away and delete the number in the cab.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home