Don't Ever Forget...I'm from New York

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

So I lied....it's about Charmed.

It wasn't so much a lie as it was a miscalculation. The eighth season of Charmed premiered on Sunday night, and I for one couldn't be happier. It was a bit up in the air whether or not the WB was going to renew the show for an eighth season, and while the producers wrapped everything up in a nice little bow it all felt a bit rushed and not very satisfying. I'm glad that they have at least another season to tell the stories of these wacky witches that I oh so adore.

It's hard for me to pick what my favorite show is. But Charmed is definitley in the running. On many of my favorite shows there are characters that I love, and characters that I have very little interest in. I watch them because they are a part of that world, a part of the canvas, but I have no real interest in their storyline as a part of my enjoyment. I can't say that about Charmed. I love each and every character. The actors and actresses are fabulous, and they know what they are making is supposed to be fun. They embrace it, and you can see that. Charmed has always had a good balance of season long arcs as well as stand alone episodes. Plus, who doesn't love Alyssa Milano!

The world thinks that the Halliwell sisters are dead, and that their father is raising Piper's kids. We all know that they faked their deaths and are using magical disguises to have normal lives. Do they really think that that is going to work? They are always trying this and it always fails. For me this show is all about the interaction of the sisters, and the premiere did not disappoint. They were in full banter mode. Personally, I have always liked Charmed Post Shanned Doherty more then with Shannen Doherty. Rose McGowan's Paige is far more interesting to me then Shannen Doherty's Prue.

Paige, of course, is having the hardest time giving up the magical life because her white lighter side had recenty been activated and she constantly has charges calling for help. We all know that Paige would only resist these calls for so long, and she answered the call of a charge of a witch named Billie...who didn't really seem to need her. This was a kick ass witch with a lot of powers, but what seemed like very little experience. She kept rescuing Piper's kids and dad because the underworld was after all of them now that the charmed ones were presumed dead. How she was aware of these attacks is a bit of a mystery. The demons have of course figured out that the Charmed ones may be alive, even with the little show the Charmed ones put on(disguising themselves as Wyatt and basically doing some hardcore vanquishing!)to make sure demons aren't constantly coming after their dad(I say their dad but we of course realize that it is only Piper and Phoebe's dad since Paige is the product of an affair their mother had with her whitelighter-guess that runs in the family Piper!)

The sisters think they put on a good enough show to scare away the underworld, but that is just not going to happen. Piper and Phoebe are going to let Paige explore this white lighter stuff, but don't seem to really want to help. That's a little bitchy if you ask me. And now this new witch, Billie, seems like she is going to become a protege of the Charmed Ones. Does it really seem fair to make this new kid do all the work?

I'm interested to see what Leo is going to do in this new paradigm, and how their dad is going to deal with his larger role in this world now that he must pretend that he is the guardian of the boys. Demons are going to try to kill that man every other week, I say in jest hoping that that does not happen. It would get really old, really fast.

Paige needs some loving...bring back Kerr Smith as her white lighter boyfriend. They had some great chemistry! :)

This could be the last season of Charmed so I hope that they make it a good one. That's not to say I wouldn't be thrilled if they came back for season nine next year. The season premiere was a good start to the season. I'm excited to see where it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home